Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Dye Workshop, Re-Evaluating Things

The weekend of June 13th and 14 were spent with 25 wonderful people learning new ways to dye fiber and yarn. The Painted Sheep generously shared her techniques with us. We ranged from first time dyers to seasoned ones who dye fibers and yarns on a more regular basis. I fell into the occasional area myself. It was a fabulous two days and we all came away with new ideas as well as gorgeous fiber and yarns to play with. Here are some pictures of some of the fibers:

Dye Workshop 5 Dye Workshop 2 Dye Workshop 4 Dye Workshop

I also managed to finish plying up my "Envious Eyes" fiber from CJ Kopec. It was one of the May SAL fibers, but I was slow about getting it finished. Here's a picture of the fiber and singles on the bobbin. I haven't taken a picture of the finished yarn yet.
CJ Kopec Envious Eyes CJ Kopec Envious Eyes on the bobbin 2

I also managed to re-ply my batt from ShadyFibers which I've named "Pink Eeyore" in honor of the Coopworth sheep the fiber comes from. One ply is Coopworth, mohair locks, silk, firestar and some other fibers. The other is the same Coopworth dyed a light pretty pink. I got 308 yards from 3 ounces of fiber.

Shady Fibers Pink Eeyore 2 Shady Fibers Pink Eeyore

Some other news is that my container garden is growing like crazy thanks to all the rain we have had here. I'm thinking of moving the containers under the canopy tomorrow to give them a day to dry out a bit, though. Too much rain can be just as bad as not enough.

After much thought and deliberation, I decided to trim all my activities a bit. My reasons are personal, so I won't go into them here. Due to this, one of the things I've decided to do is resign as the treasurer of the Spinners Guild. I made the announcement at the meeting last Saturday. I hope to transfer the treasury to the new person at the next guild meeting in July. The sooner the better for me.

Pat is home for a while due to an arm and shoulder injury which needs surgery. It's going to be a long summer for him since he won't be able to do much with the arm. I will have find some things for us to do to keep him occupied a bit.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow Debbie, your spinning looks BEAUTIFUL!!! I totally want to pet pink Eeyore in person!

I know the guild will miss having you as treasurer, as you have done such a good job of keeping everyone in line!

Donna said...

Linda showed me some of the roving she dyed at the workshop. Absolutely beautiful! I am so jealous!

Hope Pat feels better - surgery is never fun.

I know what you mean about having to trim down on things. This was a huge year for me to do that as well. It was hard, but I found that as much as I want to, I just cannot do everything.