Sunday, September 18, 2011

Are We Craft People or Gardeners An Unknown Threat?

Recently, I've read a couple articles that singles out crafters, especially knitters, makers of cupcakes, people who sew, and gardeners.  The first one was regarding "strong women" and tried to say if you are a crafter or love baking or creating items, you are not strong.  I don't know about you, but I know some pretty strong people who do these things.  I'm not just talking physically, but mentally and emotionally as well.

Tonight's article was regarding a teacher who has a garden, worm bins, and keeps bees in Memphis, TN.  He is teaching a handful of his students about these things.  Here's the link to the article.  There's a link to pictures of his property within the article. This man is being fined and ordered to dismantle his garden, and other items because a few neighbors complained, and consider him a "public nuisance". 

 When I was a kid, we always has a big garden.  The neighbors all had them as well.  My grandmother and mom canned a lot.  Sadly, I didn't have an interest then and never learned.  We also had lots of fruit trees and a huge grapevine.  The grapes were made into wine when my grandfather was alive.  Dad wasn't into making it.  I hate to think I would be "breaking the law" if I still had the garden, trees, and vines.

What is wrong with this world when creating and growing things you love and enjoy doing is punishable by law and open to ridicule?  We live in a sad society where plastic wrap, commercially made items takes precedence over natural, fresh home grown or items created by hand.  By attempting to force people to give up these things, we are losing so much.

As for me, I'll continue to knit, crochet, spin, weave, make stained glass, cook, and even grow some veggies in pots in my yard for as long as I can.  Shame on the people who don't like it.

No comments: