Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Life Interuptus, Goodbye Rosebud

It's been a while since I've sat down to write a post here.  As the title says, life has thrown me a few curves during the last couple of months.  There's been some medical stuff to deal with that seriously cut into knitting and spinning time.  At the beginning of September, I had to have an out-patient procedure.  The results from that led to a major surgery on October 29, which was also my birthday.  The doctors were able to use the robot so I have 5 small incisions instead of a big huge one to deal with.  I had to stay overnight in the hospital, which was another first for me.  Everything appears to be healing nicely.  My follow up is in a couple days when I find out the results of the pathology tests. 

There was a couple issues with my blood pressure and blood sugar during surgery.  I've been extra diligent and writing everything down that goes in my mouth, testing with my meter more often, and everything is fine now. I did lose 10.8 pounds in 3 weeks as of yesterday.  :))

When I came home the next day, Pat told me something was wrong with my old girl kitty, Rosebud.  I took one look at her and told him to call the vet.  It was time for her last trip.  She had a stroke while I was in the hospital.  I was well medicated for pain and insisted on going with him to the Ocean State Animal Hospital.  My vet couldn't fit us in and told us to call them.  The ladies were wonderful, caring, and respectful to us.  Tucker's trip is coming, possibly by the end of this week.  He's not eating very much now, but, still comes to me for petting and lovings. 

Since I have a 5 pound weight restriction, and can't lift much of anything, I'm limited in what I can do.  Spinning is out since it puts pressure on my internal stitches right now.  I haven't touched a wheel since October 28th.  I bought some lovely fiber at Sue's spin in on the 26th.  It's an Ashland Bay fiber called "Diablo".  The Merino/Silk (70/30 mix) spins like butter.  I'm doing it from the fold and it's super fine gorgeousness.  My hands are itching to work on it, but I have to wait till the follow up and get clearance.  I didn't go to the New England Fiber Festival this year, so this was my "festival" purchase.  :) 

Knitting has seen some activity.  I took my Opal socks to the hospital with me and did a little bit when I wasn't too loopy from meds.  I've put the "Morticia" shawl aside and have been working on my "Bee Leaf Half Pi" Shawl.  I'm on Chart C, Row 115.  There's  between 150 and 160 rows total but the stitch count will double one more time to over 600 stitches per row.  It needs to be finished, blocked, and photographed by the 30th in order for me to enter it in the KAL thread in the Sockbunny Knit and Fit group.  I might just make it.  There's another pair of socks, 3 hats, The "Mystic Delight" Shawl (that's half done), and the Molly scarf still on the needles. 

I did finish my "Artmesia" sweater, the "Saroyan" shawl/scarf, and a "Zinnia Dahlia" hat. 

O.K. It's time to figure out supper then I plan to sit in my recliner, watch a couple of movies, and knit on my shawl. 


Kristen said...

Hi Debbie, Sorry you have been going through hard times recently. We missed you at the guild meeting. I hope your health issues improve and that the surgery was successful. So sorry about Rosebud. :-( You sure could use some comfort knitting time!

Lucie said...

Oh Debbie, I am sorry about Rosebud.

Socks are small and portable and under five pounds unless They are really big ones.

We miss you at Happy Hands. Our December destash is the 8th. I hope you are well enough to come. Ten pounds in three weeks is terrific. Keep at it.

Again my condolences about Rosebud.