Friday, October 13, 2006

Socktoberfest "Dublin Bay" Socks completed

I have made it my goal to finish at least 3 pairs of socks for Socktoberfest. I am proud to say, I finished the second sock of my "Dublin Bay" pair on Wednesday and started a pair of Entrelac Socks on Thursday. I found a pattern on line for these, but did not want to keep changing colors. The pattern is not that difficult to adapt to my idea of how I want these to turn out. I chose to make them in a variegated yarn from Knit Picks Sock Memories in the "Easter" colorway. The colors go dark purple, light purple, teal,and a bright orange. I have a shirt in the purple with the teal and orange as trim cords, and a pair of purple slacks, so these will go terrific with that outfit. I would like to make the third pair in a "Butterfly" pattern. I need to figure out how to make this yet.

I had to come to terms with myself that it is necessary to cut the yarn and rejoin it in appropriate places to make the rounds. It's my first time attempting to knit entrelac in the round and had a mental block when it came to doing this. I am used to simply knitting round and round without any interruption in the yarn. Anyway, I am about to start tier 5 of the required 7 tiers. I hope to finish the last 3 and the end set of triangles tonight. Hopefully, I can also start the heel before I need to quit for sleep.

There was another Knitter's Breakfast last month on the 30th at Fabric Place. I showed great restraint and walked out of the store at the end after only spending around 30 dollars. I picked up "Bags - A Knitter's Dozen", and 3 skeins of Noro Kureyon to make "Zigzag On The Town" and felt it. This is planned for sometime in the winter when it is cold and snowy outside. Also, this will be my first attempt at felting. I have plans to make some slippers, but figured it would be a good idea to try felting a bag or scarf first before something that has to actually fit a body part. As far as the book is concerned, I had viewed it online before and had not been very impressed with it. There were three of the items on display at the Breakfast. After seeing them, I changed my mind about it. There are also plans here to make the Market Bag, an Entrelac pattern, as well. The socks are actually a good practice run for the bag now I think of it.

Among the activities at the Breakfast, were three ladies spinning. Two were using a wheel and one a spindle. I had the opportunity to ask questions and observe them for a while. One of the women also happened to be in charge of our local spinning newsletter. After giving her my email address, she promised to send me a copy of the latest issue. It was in my mailbox the next morning. Now I need to sign up for a membership. The fee is very reasonable for a year's membership.

Well, time to get back to that sock. Keep knitting and have a great day/night.

No comments: