Thursday, January 22, 2009

Living History, New Beginnings and Guilds, Fiber Projects Update

It's two days into the new Presidency and I think the country already is feeling more upbeat about the future. According to the polls, people are happier and more confident in our new leader then we were with the old one for a very long time. President Obama has many visions for our country and I think they will become a reality and not just a plan. I hope my governor can learn a few things from President Obama and apply them to help settle the RI state deficit instead of blaming it on state workers and people who need the state funded programs.

Another new beginning is the first meeting at Slater Mill for their newly forming Knitting and Crochet Guild. This includes machine knitting. The first meeting will be held in the yellow building, the Jenks Building, second floor, on Wednesday, January 28, from 7 to 9 p.m. This guild will be part of the Slater Mill Community Guild which already includes quilting, basket making, and spinning guilds. Also, there is hope of a weaving guild in the not too distant future. The idea is to be able to have individual guilds who also come together for a collective meeting called a "pan guild" once a month and share their skills, projects, ideas, and creativity with each other. The present plan is to alternate between a Wednesday night one month and a Sunday the following. This will enable more people to participate in these get togethers. The Community Guild is in the beginning stages and this is a good opportunity for anyone interested to be in on the ground level and help to build it. It's great to have the history of the mill, as well as a beautiful building to meet in, as part of this effort. Please make an effort to come to the meeting if you are interested.

Fiber stuff is moving along. As for my knitting, I'm almost finished with the Dragon Scale Shawl. It's going to be close since Superbowl is looming on the horizon. I stretched it out from under my chin downward and it's about the same length as my Swallowtail Shawl was when finished. I want it to be a bit bigger, so I'm doing a few more repeats. The Morning Surf Scarf is coming along for the Ply By Night group on Ravelry, and I still have the two scarves here to crochet on for the Traveling Scarves. Somewhere along the way, I've got to make a pair of socks for a friend, and finish another pair for someone else. The wheels are also busy lately. Right now, I'm ready to Navajo ply the last bobbin of "Mandy" on Millie, my Minstrel, and "Pie Toss" is waiting on Esme, my Sonata.

Nothing will get touched for a bit this evening, since I have a meeting to go to in Bristol. When I get home, I plan to devote some time to the shawl and hope to complete another repeat tonight. They are getting longer and longer to get across.

2 comments:

Donna said...

You came to Bristol and didn't call me????? We could have met for coffee and knit for a bit! I am trying to get to the meeting at Slater for Wednesday.

You got me thinking about what I am going to knit for superbowl....

Anonymous said...

I cant wait to see your dragon scale shawl all blocked out!!